Raspberry and Blackberry Duplicates

catttJuly 16, 2005

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know what the process of duplicating an exact raspberry bush.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Millie_36(Z6b MO)

Most blackberries will tip root. It's been so long since I had raspberries that I can't remember, but I believe they just send up new canes from the roots each year, which can be dug. Black raspberries are more trailing, but don't remember if they tip rooted.

Blackberries are root propagated for large scale production of new plants and I suspect raspberries are done the same way. Maybe someone else can tell you for sure, but I would say it is done in very late winter or early spring. I have seen root cuttings of blackberry for sale, so I am sure they are quite easy to do.

Might want to post this question on the gruit forum.

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 7:47AM
magan(5b)

I hope you can help. I dug out red raspberry plants with roots from other garden with plan to plant them in mine. They were individual long new canes. I left them overnight in garage and when I came to plant them, all leaves were dry. I planted them anyway and watered them. I don't know if I should cut them shorter or if there is anything else I can do with them to keep them alive.
Thank you.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 2:36PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would like to know what the process of duplicating an exact raspberry bush.
Raspberries usually throw up lots of suckers. They are the new plants, and those canes will be bearing fruit the next season. Old vines/brambles can be cut back/off, once fruit production is over for the season.

I don't know if I should cut them shorter or if there is anything else I can do with them to keep them alive.
Yes, Magan, I would cut them back. I think you will be cutting off next seasons fruit (maybe), but at least it will maybe help the plant survive. I'd cut them back to about 12-24 inches or so. Possibly others will have other ideas too. I think they will be fine. Oftentimes berries suffer, yet survive drought like conditions.

Sue

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™