Pothos, other tropicals propagation in H2O

garden_tinkJuly 5, 2007

Hi, I was rooting some pothos cuttings in my window sill and they took root, no problem, thing is, some of the nicer leaves came off in the whole cutting process so I stuck them in another jar with water, too. They rooted! Do leaves of plants do that well? I've already transplanted it (three leaves) with lots of circling roots into a pot of soil and it hasnt changed a bit, still alive, but not doesn't appear to be growing. Will it take on a body of it's own? I had a japanese aralia launch a leaf into the water also, I just noticed it had roots at the tip of the stem where it disengaged the tip cutting. Curious.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Many plants will develop roots on the petioles of leaves not not stem tissue. You need to take stem cuttings for that to occur.

I remember one guy who carefully rooted a large rubber plant leaf. It sure did grow some great roots, but never a single bit of stem! Hilarious.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 1:31PM
garden_tink

Thank you for the reply. I have to laugh, then, I'm in with the rubber plant guy, I guess. Well, they look nice in my container garden for now, when they go roots up, I'll pull them. These did definitly form roots ant the very ends of the leaf stems where they snapped off the plant stem. Strange.
Garden Tink

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 7:50PM
bern_2007

There are plants you can start with a leaf, african violet, gloxinia, started right in the dirt. jade leaf layed on dirt, will develop into a plant.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 11:01PM
k_reckard_mchsi_com

I am having trouble rooting my pothos cuttings. I have successfully rooted fiddle leaf figs, rubber plants and dracaena marginadas but my pothos cuttings just rot. I put them in a south facing window because that's what's always worked for the rest. Is it possible that I need to let the cuttings dry for a couple hours before I put them in water? Am I not cutting them in the right place? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™