how to progate creeping phlox

diggerb2(z5oh)July 30, 2007

I have three nice hunks of creeping phlox that i'd like to get rooted and transplant to other parts of the garden.

right now they droop about 12-18 inches over a 2 foot high tall stone wall next to the sidewalk. so how do i root them.

put a pot of soil under them, pin them down to the soil and keep them well watered until they root and get established and then cut them off and movethem else where? is this something i sould do next spring for better results?

thanks diggerb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryt_gardener

I had lots of creeping phlox when I lived in Wisconsin, when I wanted to root more of it I would just tear some of it off the main 'mass' making sure I got some roots--which is pretty easy cuz it has lots of tiny little roots.
I'd just tuck it into a different spot and water it, sometimes I would put a tiny bit of mulch or some small rocks around it to hold it down and then water it. It almost always would take root somehow into the ground and spread along just fine with almost no special care. If you prefer to start it in pots, I'd do just about the same thing--just tear some off and set it on some dirt in a pot and water it. In pots you will likely have to water more often, but It grows almost as easily as a sedum. maryt

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™