Growing Cuphea Llavea from Seed

cp-arclightJuly 15, 2010

I've been having poor results in attempting to get my Tiny Mice to grow from softwood cuttings. Of my 10 cuttings, at least 7 look like they're not going to make it. However, I've been able to collect a bag full of dried flowers that have fallen off of the parent plant, and from what I can tell the seeds are all intact.

Do you have any special advice or instructions for growing this amazing plant from seed?

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

soft wood cuttings are easy apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 10-20 days to root
Seed do not cover seed (light required) soil temp 70F & takes 10-14 days to germinate. (Seperate seed from plant litter)

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cp-arclight

Thanks for the info on the seeds. I dissected a few dried flowers and extracted the seeds, which I then sprinkled onto the surface of some starter pots.

Mist seeds as I do the cuttings? (I apply mist enough to turn the surface of the soil damp and dark.)

I will check the rooting hormone powder I've been using to see if it is 0.1% IBA or not. The cuttings are all from the growing tips of the plant, maybe 2-3 in length.

Not sure why, but the cuttings just seem to dry up and slowly die, even though I mist them regularly. Not enough water? Too deep in the soil?

How much light should the plants receive for the first 10 - 20 days? I've got them under the bright CFL lights I use for my carnivorous plants. Too bright?

Thanks,

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™