Help with succulent cuttings

jaxdesignJuly 18, 2009

Hello everyone, this is a great forum and I am glad to be here.

I am a college student, and I have been gardening for the past 3 years. I have four raised beds filled with vegies, flowers, and native plants of California.

My question is about cuttings. I have tried taking cuttings of ceanothus, baccharis, honeysuckle, rose, and a few succulents. I have followed guides, which told me to remove unnecessary leaves, wound the nodes, and soak the cuttings in root hormone. I have done all of this, and yet all of my cuttings, besides the resilient honeysuckle, have wilted and failed to root.

Every week or so I mix root hormone and water to encourage the cuttings to root, but only one or two thin roots come out of the nodes. More often than not the stem begins to decompose and the cutting wilts.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really want to learn how to propagate through cuttings. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

YOU SHOULD USE A WELL DRAINED SOIL & MIST THE CUTTINGS OFTEN.
DILUTING HORMONE IN WATER & APPLYING TO CUTTINGS IS A WAST OF TIME & MONEY.
THE ROSE IS SO EASY TO ROOT I OFTEN JUST STICK CUTTINGS IN SOIL OUTSIDE WITHOUT HORMONE & MIST..... SO....I WILL ASSUME THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON YOU ARE NOT TELLING US?

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 7:42PM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I will address succulents. Instructions can vary with different types, but the following can be used for most succulents.

Most succulents are extremely easy to root. Take a cutting by cutting just below a node. Or, if the succulent can easily be broken off at a node, do that. Next, leave the cutting in a semi-shaded spot (or inside) and exposed to air for about a day (at least a few hours, maybe even a few days for really large cuttings) until it seals itself off. The optimal time will vary a little bit depending on the species and size of the cutting. You do not want the cutting to wilt, but you do want to make sure the cut is dry. Do NOT wound the cutting. Wounding the cutting or planting with a fresh cut may lead to rot. Usually, rooting hormone is not used. Water sparingly, but don't let the soil completely dry out down at root level.

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 4:17PM
samfawzy10(Z5)

In addition to what was said; consider covering the cutting with 2L coke bottle cut in half - the cutting will root in three to four weeks.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Propagating Jujube Via Suckers
Good day, one of my Grandmother's Jujube trees is sending...
BahamaDan ZTropic
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™