Chocolate Habanero

densiemillJuly 7, 2014

My first time growing the chocolate hab...what should I expect? I always grow the red scotch bonnet and the yellow hab but just decided to try something new...is taste similar?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peppernovice

Beautiful pepper! I can't tell you about the taste. I tried to grow Chocolate Habs for the first time this year. I now have red peppers........oh well. Let us know how you like the taste when you try it.

Tim

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 8:54PM
stoneys_fatali(9b Duarte,Ca.)

Very nice pod!
I thought I was growing a chocolate habanero but when they started to turn orange, I knew I got screwed with those ebay seeds. I will never buy any seeds ever from ebay again.
I have a trusted source now.

Stoney

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 8:58PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Nice pod. I am growing RED and ORANGE. The next year I will try the choc.
Yeah, tell us please hot it taste .

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 9:45PM
scott123456(5)

Very nice pepper! I have two pods that turned today. This is my first year growing them as well but I would like to hear your review on them.

Tim- I would be willing to send you seeds just send me a PM. That is such a bummer.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 2:10AM
thundertoe(8)

I have two chocolate hab plants going right now myself- they have a pleasant smokey flavor, and heatheatheat

stoneys_fatali, i thought I had three plants going, actually, but one had bumpy pods with scorpion tails, and they're ripening red

I have no idea what I have, but they look dangerous

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:30AM
plantsman56

I have several plants and picked 15 pods yesterday and brought them to our, "hot pepper night" we have every Monday night, at a local establishment. They do have a smoky taste, and they are hot, but very mellow compared to Douglahs, which are intensely hot. I don't like habs in general as fresh pods, and these are about the same for me, but when these are fried, it's a whole different situation. These pods were sliced and then fried with slices of onions and everything caramelized together and the peppers are sweet with a bit of a bite. I know a few people who grow lots of different types of peppers and think this is one of their favorites for using in cooking. That is why I started them up and I am glad I did. Most of the peppers I grow are much hotter, but sometimes a more mellow heat is preferred.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 9:31AM
johnpo(6)

Nice looking pod... Is your mouth watering yet? I tried my first chocolate habs this year... The taste is outstanding... Nothing like the store-bought orange habs. The chocolates have an outstanding flavor. Mine didn't seem smoky like others have commented, but did have a crisp, citrusy flavor. I'm saving seeds and plan to grow them again, but lots more than 1 plant!

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:05PM
densiemill

Ohmigosh my mouth is watering. Will try my first one tomorrow.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Hate the new layout
How about you? Usually, I don't care, but this blows. Kevin...
woohooman
Sprouting leaves on peppers drying
My new leaves are going dark and drying off in most...
tomyres
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™