Persian Shield

barb_roselover_inJuly 14, 2011

I love this plant, but mine in a container is getting out of hand. I would like to propagate it but found that just cutting it off and planting did no good, so what is the correct way to do it? Has anybody had any experience with this plant? Also, can it be kept over the winter under lights? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I love this plant, but mine in a container is getting out of hand.
Isn't it fun how fast these grow?!

I would like to propagate it but found that just cutting it off and planting did no good, so what is the correct way to do it?
This *should* work. I usually start my cuttings in a jar of water, though. Cut a piece with about 3 nodes below the growth tip. Remove all of the leaves except the ones at the tip. If the tip leaves are large, cut them in half. If you want to try cuttings in soil again, do the same process of leaf-removal, and use moist but not soggy soil. Place it somewhere with very little direct sun. Do not let it dry out.

Has anybody had any experience with this plant?
Yes! It's my #1 favorite plant. My last ones died out when I moved 3 times in 2007 - including a move from OH to AL. I was missing them so much that I special ordered from the local garden center this spring, and ended up with 10 of them.

Also, can it be kept over the winter under lights?
Absolutely. You can keep potted plants under fluorescent lights, or in a very sunny window. When you bring them inside, they will get pissed. So go ahead and remove all large leaves at that time so you don't end up picking them up off the floor later. It will probably look awful all winter but should stay alive. Do not water until it gets very dry, almost wilty. Overwatering will cause root rot since the plant is basically dormant at this time, although it might make a few flowers. You can also keep cuttings over winter in jars or bottles of water on a windowsil.

To hedge my bets, I usually bring in the potted plants, and take as many cuttings from them as possible. If all goes well, you should have several plants next spring!

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 9:50AM
barb_roselover_in

Thank you so much for answering my post. Also, you were so thorough==answered every question. I so appreciate people taking the time to answer. God Bless. - Barb

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 9:58AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

You're welcome. And thanks for the blessing! Right back'at'cha.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:03PM
flhardatwork(9)

I also gently scrape the last spot where I removed the lowest leaf set with my clipping scissors and they ALWAYS root, with or w/o rooting hormone. One of THE easier cutting propagators (100%) that I've done here in C. Florida. Alway keep damp. That's my entire instruction manual. I LOVE this place (forum)!!

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Sponsored Products
Juno Track Lighting Trac-Lites Flat-Back Cylinder White Light R522W-WH
$16.97 | Home Depot
New Antiqued 3' X 9' Veg Dyed Ivory Rug Oushak Wool Runner Hand Knotted H3202
BH Sun Inc
Persian Legend Ivory and Ivory Rectangular: 6 Ft. x 9 Ft. Rug
$648.95 | Bellacor
Target Darts Match Play Soft Tip Darts - 106100
$47.99 | Hayneedle
Bee Attitudes´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Chi
$255.95 | Bellacor
Napoleon Large Wood Stove with Pedestal - 1900P-H222
Hayneedle
Hunter Lighting Kits Marine II Outdoor White Ceiling Fan Light Kit 28438
$39.97 | Home Depot
New Elegant Blue Turkish Oushak 8'x10' Hand Knotted Natural Dyed Wool Rug H3832
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™