Clerodendrum thomasiae, help

BegoniaRob(8B/9A)July 14, 2012

I have a Clerodendrum (Bleeding heart vine) as an indoor plant and I'd like to propagate it for a friend. Any suggestions? Anytime I take a cutting and place in water--nothing happens and the cutting dries out. Taking a cutting and putting it in sand does the same thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

If you're going to try find info about this online, be sure to spell it correctly (Clerodendrum thomsoniae). Bleeding Heart Vine is typically very easy to propagate from cuttings. Using water as a medium is probably one of the least effective way to propagate most things, but this species is usually so easy to root that it can even be done in water. I don't know what type of sand you are using, but, if you do want to try sand again, make sure it is pure silica sand ("real" sand) and be sure it is course grained (better drainage). Using a mixture of 50% perlite and 50% decent potting soil can also work well. Be sure that the medium doesn't stay soggy at lower depths. Cuttings taken in late winter or spring seem to do best.

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 12:00PM
calistoga_al

This is invasive in my garden. It comes up everywhere, very hard to kill. you can mow it down and it comes right back. I used to give away the blooms until I got complaints. Al

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 9:57AM
EdwinR

My daughter gave me a cutting which I put in a white disposable beaker with water in the kitchen window facing south on March 17th. After 5 days the roots started forming. Tomorrow (March 29th) I shall plant it in a pot. I intend to have it as a houseplant and keep it in a window facing south or one facing southwest. I never succeeded when I put cuttings to root in soil so I put them in water to root and the results are fine. Should I use normal soil or should it be acidic? When should I start fertilizing it and should it be normal or half strength dilution?

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:06PM
yiorges-z5il

Ideal pH is 5.0 to 6.o (acid)
When to start & how much fertilize depends on the potting soil, amount of watering , rate of growth etc. etc. etc.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™