just given a cutting as gift and need advice please

joshuac1v8(6b-Lower Mid TN)August 10, 2014

I just recieved 3 plumeria cuttings appr 12 to 14 inches long. They were given as a gift from my sister who just got back from Hawaii. Ive been reading up on getting them rooted and im already a big user of Al's gritty mix, which is what I'll prob use to pot them.
My main concern is im not sure if i should try potting them up now or possible keeping them through winter because of where I live (only about 2 1\2 months of hot weather left). They also have a wax coating at the base and im not sure if i should cut this off when time to plant or just leave it on??
Like i said im a complete newbie to plumeria's and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonie_57

Peel off the wax coating and determine whether or not they are callused. If it is well callused, then go ahead and pot it up. You can use this forum's search function to find the answers to almost any question you would have. A good place to start would be about callusing. Then, you're going to be soooo hooked! :)

PS, for most cuttings, it would be too long a period to try and hold them over until spring for planting.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 10:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joshuac1v8(6b-Lower Mid TN)

thanks for the advice moonie, ive taken on the wax and not sure about what the callous should look like so going to do a lil research.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this plumeria?
This was my first plumeria. I found it in the backyard...
jedobaTX9b
Length of dormancy....
Greetings! I have two grafted plumeria, Celadine and...
scott_madison
Waiting for spring
Most of my plants are starting to get leaves but I...
barb13_gw
Plant robbers
I woke up this morning to find one of my plants, a...
gidgetsocal
what do you think of the callus?
The three on the left are hard and appear to be good...
plumeriai45
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™