overwintering of new cuttings

markstreesJuly 11, 2010

I have been pretty successful getting cuttings to root,

but i seem to have little luck getting them through the winter here. The first year i wintered them outside in my nursery with a lots of straw mulch and lost most of them. This year i kept them inside in my garage where it is not as bitter, but does get to freezing. Still lost most of them. Any advice on overwintering would be great,

thanks,

mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

A cold frame is one possibility the true key to survival is a good root system to start with then harden off the cutting but most of all KEEP THE SOIL DAMP ALL WINTER LONG TILL SPRING.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 4:54PM
darlenes-2010(5)

I have a beautiful dark red geranium I am planning to overwinter. Should I leave it in it's hanging basket and cut it back or take them out and separate them now? I haven't seen one like this color and that's why I want to save it.
Darlene

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 8:48AM
ski_d_bump(5)

i plant mine end of sept in veggy garden "had about 200 plants" ,water untill first hard frost/freeze"mid november".Most survived winter
Butterfly bushes,montuak daisys,and wegilia.Most were in 1 gal pots for about 4 to 6 weeks before transplanted ,so they had a pretty good root system going.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 8:48AM
garystpaul(4)

I have a light set-up, actually two, one in the basement, one in a corner of my south-facing attached greenhouse. I overwinter just-rooted roses, clematis, bougainvillea, and others under fluorescents. You have to keep an eye out for pests, especially spider mites. When it's warm in spring I transplant them to slightly larger pots and grow them outdoors. Then they go into the ground or into a cold frame for the second winter.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 9:27PM
pardak(5)

I have some tree cuttings and seedlings that I plan to overwinter in an unheated garage (zone 5). This may be a bad idea, but would it be wise to protect the seedlings and cuttings by placing them in styrofoam containers during the cold winter months? I could add a bit of snow inside the containers for moisture from time to time.

Anyone tried this or is it a bad idea??

Thanks

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™