Wisteria 'beans'

sentrase(CA - zone 17)August 28, 2006

I have a question about the bean pods (the green bean-looking things)that hang from a Wisteria tree. Are these beans future blooms? My husband says that if you cut all of those off, there won't be any blooms. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi,
The beans are where there once were flowers. The only reason to keep them on the plant would be to let them ripen so you could grow more Wisteria Vines or to give/trade them to another person. So you can cut them off and no harm will be done: )
Remy

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 12:41PM
gw:plant_babies

I was wondering this same thing just yesterday.

Remy -- how does one know when it is time to harvest the pods to plant the seeds?

thanks

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 4:33PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

The pods turn brown and begin to look dry when ripe. Seeds are black when mature. Nick and soak in hot water, sow 55-65F, germination in 30-60 days.

But, as wisteria grown from seed may take as long as 10 - 15 years to flower, growing from seed is rarely recommended....better to take softwood or hardwood cuttings, layer, or take root cuttings.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 11:36AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

When the pods mature on the vine (brown) remove them and place them in a paper bag. The pods will violently burst open so that you can collect the seeds inside. Don't leave the pods out without placing them in a bag....the force behind this pod bursting is incredible.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 1:34PM
melanie_2006

This sort of answers my question. One of my husband's customers gave him two bags full of these beans. They are still green and soft. They have part of the stem attached yet. So should I let these dry out and plant seed, or try to put the stem in root starter?? I didn't want to hear they take that long to mature. Also, should this be done now in the fall or wait til spring? I always wanted one of these vines, but looks like I'll be waiting a while. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 10, 2006 at 1:51PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™