propagating mint form cuttings?

elly29August 7, 2006

I just got a couple of mint cuttings from my father-in-law and I was wondering the best way to get them to root. Can I root them in water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

I take cuttings of this years growth... apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist takes 10-25 days to root.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 1:44PM
catfishsam

Just put some gravel in a pot and push the mint down in the gravel and put in the pond so the top of the pot is a inch or so under water. The mint will root very quickly. Be careful if you plant it by the pond since it will spread and become a pest.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 3:43PM
catfishsam

Sorry about my posting since I thought I was on the pond forum.

Just put the mint in some water and it will root quickly. Make sure that it is not planted where it will become weedy.

Bookmark   August 7, 2006 at 3:46PM
hinesh5

i just put my mint cuttings in a pot with moist compost. i put it in a propagator on a windowsill for 1 to 2 weeks.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 2:14PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

plant the mint in the ground in native soil once rooted.. or you will spend the next decade trying to stop it from invading everything for a 1/4 mile around ...

as nice as it is... especially in scotch and water... it is a highly invasive pest ...

good luck

ken

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 4:53PM
geoforce(z7a SE PA)

Most mint will just about root in a concrete driveway. About the easiest things to root in the entire world and also one of the hardest to control in your garden.. PLEASE!! Plant it in a container.

George

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 8:18AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i said : plant the mint in the ground in native soil once rooted

---->>>> left out a few of the most important words.. lol

PLANT IN A 5 GAL BUCKET FILLED WITH NATIVE SOIL IN THE GROUND .... in an attempt to keep it contained ... or eventually you will be cursing your decision to introduce it into your garden ... been there.. done that.. finally got rid of it... BY MOVING >>>>> lol

geez .. what a typo ... lol .. ken

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 3:23PM
karyn1(7a)

It's almost impossible not to root mint cuttings. They'll grow in just about anything.
Karyn

Bookmark   April 19, 2007 at 8:36PM
gardenernm(5)

does it matter what part of the plant you get the clipping from?

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 1:55PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

I am sure it doesn't matter what part of the plant. The only thing that matters is that you take heed and plant in a container. Make sure the container is not sunk into or on top of soil, or it will reach down from the top and start traveling through the soil. Make sure you have a plant saucer under your container to prevent those roots from spreading.

Good luck with your cuttings!

Bookmark   August 2, 2009 at 11:34AM
organic_ns(6a)

I agree with geoforce - mint will try and root itself anywhere. I grew two mint plants in pots this year on my concrete deck and was fascinated to see the runners reaching out and trying to root somewhere - anywhere, including the concrete deck. Wicked stuff, I would never plant it in the actual 'ground' if you know what I mean....

The other thing I have read, is if you do use pots, don't let the mint go to seed as those little mutts will end up everywhere - you might as well have planted the mint in the ground. Needless to say, I'm keeping a close eye on mine!

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 5:56PM
kimbabcock_bellsouth_net

I've had mint "invade" from haphazardly tossed clippings all over my flower beds. I am in the process of allowing it to "invade" a large banked area with not so great soil where only weeds grow. When I am "de-minting" some areas of my gardens, I take those clumps with good root systems attached and plant them straight into their new location. As long as adequate moisture is available, the transplants thrive. And if you want any free mint to plant, just ask a friend with a plant and they will be more than happy to provide.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 4:38PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

My suggestion..don't ever plant mint in your flowerbeds. I inherited flowerbeds that the original owners of this house had planted and we've lived here 6 yrs. and I'm still having it pop up. Buy it from your grocery store is my suggestion.
Like Ken says, it is almost impossible to get rid of it. I don't know about starting mint and growing it in a pot if you can keep it contained in the pot or not.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 7:26AM
More Discussions
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™