misting or chamber?

earthnut(WA/usda8/ahs2)August 31, 2007

I am propagating aspen-poplar hybrids in a greenhouse. They are not nearly as easy to propagate as wild poplars.

I am currently using large ziploc bags to contain pots of cuttings. I take softwood tip cuttings, strip off the lower leaf or two, dip in powdered rootone, stick them in moist potting soil, spray with fungicide, and put them in bags. I leave the bags for two weeks, no openings, and most of them root.

I wean the plants to room conditions by transplanting them up a pot size and slowing cutting away at the plastic bag until it's gone. From cutting to mature plant, I get 50% or less survival.

I've gotten lots of lovely plants this way, but I'm trying to think how I might get better success. Might misting give me better rooting? Whould misting make it easier for the plants to make the transition to normal room conditions? I'd like to get an idea of how the two systems compare before I invest in the equipment. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbclem(z9b Topanga, Ca)

Hi earthnut, can you tell me how many cuttings you put in each ziploc bag...just one or a bunch. I've been using ziploc bags over individual containers and I don't think the moisture lasts more than a week in these...and I've had miserable luck with bougainvillea, trumpet vine, and now trying guava. I've been misting manually inside the bags sometimes every 3-4 days, except not in the trumpet vine ones.

jc

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 3:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Just a FWIW comment: I did experiments on poplar-[something] hybrids for several years (My hobby was propagation experiments for several decades.)

I always had best results taking the cuttings in mid-winter, December or January, and rooting them first in the dark, then proceeding to budding and leafing in pots, ziplocks or whatever.

Indeed many plant that had annual cycles seemed to start better this way whereas tropical houseplants rarely seemed to benefit from rooting in the winter.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Anyone w/Inexpensive Misting System Plans?
I would like to build an inexpensive mising system...
Grancru
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Sponsored Products
Pamplona Outdoor Pendant
Lightology
Colonial Mills Valencia Walnut Birch 12 ft. x 15 ft. Braided Area Rug VL24R144X1
Home Depot
Raiden Brushed Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture
$245.90 | Bellacor
Metropolitan Bella Flora 21 3/4" Wide Silver Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
Emerald Pine Square Cocktail Table
Overstock.com
Zinc Garlic Press
$9.99 | zulily
Fine Art Lamps Quadralli 330740ST Two-Light Semi-Flush Mount Light
$945.00 | LuxeDecor
Progress Lighting P3635-87 Two-Light Close-To-Ceiling With Jasmine Mist Glass Bo
Progress Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™