Transplanting

Atticus858August 29, 2013

Hey, i have a question, a few months ago i grabbed some chalk lettuce plants, among the hundreds there were growing on a San Diego hill side, i took them home and haven't known how to plant them since, since i've grabbed them i've put them on top of my Orchid growing medium while i figure out how to plant them, it's been around 5 months now and they are starting to curl up and not look very good, what kind of growing medium should i use? And also i'm moving so i've had to transplant a few tree saplings, Japanese Plum, Angel's Trumpets and Redbuds, is it ok transplanting these? Do i have to worry about a high chance of failure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

For the Dudleya pulverulenta (Chalk Lettuce), you just need a very well-draining mix (if you are planting them in pots). For short-term planting, a 50/50 mix of perlite and a decent potting soil should work. For long-term planting, I'd recommend considering something like one of Al's mixes he talks about in the Container Gardening Forum. Here's a link to his latest addition of his post (it's the most read and replied-to post on all of GardenWeb): Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVII

Here's a link that you may find helpful about transplanting trees and shrubs: Planting a Tree or Shrub

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Source for berry cuttings
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the...
shaggyfrog
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™