Transplanting

Atticus858August 29, 2013

Hey, i have a question, a few months ago i grabbed some chalk lettuce plants, among the hundreds there were growing on a San Diego hill side, i took them home and haven't known how to plant them since, since i've grabbed them i've put them on top of my Orchid growing medium while i figure out how to plant them, it's been around 5 months now and they are starting to curl up and not look very good, what kind of growing medium should i use? And also i'm moving so i've had to transplant a few tree saplings, Japanese Plum, Angel's Trumpets and Redbuds, is it ok transplanting these? Do i have to worry about a high chance of failure?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

For the Dudleya pulverulenta (Chalk Lettuce), you just need a very well-draining mix (if you are planting them in pots). For short-term planting, a 50/50 mix of perlite and a decent potting soil should work. For long-term planting, I'd recommend considering something like one of Al's mixes he talks about in the Container Gardening Forum. Here's a link to his latest addition of his post (it's the most read and replied-to post on all of GardenWeb): Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention XVII

Here's a link that you may find helpful about transplanting trees and shrubs: Planting a Tree or Shrub

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 11:00PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™