Need advise re softwood cuttings

texasoiler2(Z6b)August 7, 2013

I have several shrubs that I would like to propagate by cuttings next spring. My question may seem silly but I am confused as to what one does with the cuttings during the following winter? I live in Oklahoma, zone 6b or possibly 7 with the recent changes in zone charts. I don' thave access to a heated garage, greenhouse or space in my house by a light source. I understand the process of softwood cuttings and the shrubs are crape myrtle, rose ofsharon and forsythia. Here in OK the first frosts for me should be around mid to late October and my be later than that into November. Could you leave the pots out side in protected area since all these shrubs are very hearty here or do they need to be kept from normal winter weather? Thank you for your answer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Softwood cuttings of the plants you mention, taken in spring, should be hardened enough by fall to survive overwinter, outside with some protection. Al

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 9:58AM
texasoiler2(Z6b)

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate your prompt reply.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 10:56AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I agree with Al. I usually put mine under some evergreen shrubs, against the house or on my screened-in porch.

Bookmark   August 7, 2013 at 11:05AM
sincaca

Place your cuttings in a pot filled with sand (you can do 10 cuttings at a time) Make sure the (play sand) is wet all the way down. Use a pencil and make a hole and place the cutting approx. one inch deep.

Place your pot in a large freezer bag and mist the inside blow some air in the bag and seal it. This will keep your cuttings moist. Place the bag under a tree. Check for condensation in the bag after a week and if condensation is visible, leave it alone. You should have roots in your cuttings after four to five weeks.

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 7:45PM
oldlady59(5)

Hi, I'm a newbie to Garden web. Here in Iowa State horticulturalist says it's best to bury the pot so the roots are below ground level. But there is big difference between zone 5 ( really almost zone 4) and your zone 6 or 7. I have always felt better to be safe than sorry. Happy growing.

Bookmark   November 28, 2013 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™