Old Apricot tree? How to propagate

dcfarmAugust 27, 2007

I have a old apricot tree on my property more then 25 years old. It was not doing so well when I moved in last year but after setting up automatic watering to it. Man what a tree this thing is producing so much that the branches are breaking. Large sweet fruit just now starting to muture a late summer delight. It was said it always produced good fruit.

Okay. How can I make more trees like this one? Is grafting the way to do this or simply planing the seed. This tree was planted from a seed as I know the person who did it.

I've never grafted anything before and don't know where to start for root stock etc.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
destin_gardener(8-B/9-A)

You can propagate by a couple colonal methods:
Air-layering - will give you a clone of the parent tree on it's own roots, (so will just about any of the layering or cutting methods)

Grafting is your other option. Best choice if you want to impart characteristics of the rootstock into the resulting tree, (tree vigor, dwarfing, semi-dwarfing, wet soil tolerance, drought tolerance, early fruit ripening, etc; all can be controlled via the root stock you graft the scion wood onto). The rootstock should have no impact on the quality of the fruit.

Planting from seed will produce a similar tree, but the fruit charateristics may not be as good and you'll have to wait for several years, (5 - 7, I am unfamilar with the maturity rates on apricots, so this is a guess); before you'll know if the fruit is as good as, better than, or worse than the parent tree.

So if you want to get more fruiting trees faster, the best choice is grafting.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 9:49AM
goodygardener

I have been searching for the same information, since the main part of my huge old apricot tree blew down a couple of days ago. Since the tree has the biggest, best apricots I have ever tasted, I would like to clone it before my husband takes a chainsaw to the remnants of the tree.

Does anyone know if air layering will work this time of the year?

Thanks to the last commenters great information! I have one small thing to add. In my search, I have read that apricots are about the fastest tree to fruit and sometimes you will get some fruit in 3 years. So if you do try some seedlings, you would know relatively quickly if they are worth keeping. I have seen some relatively poor fruit from seedlings, though. It is a gamble for sure.

Good luck.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 2:47AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Apricot grafts easily to the appropriate rootstock. I grafted mine to Myrobalan plum seedling stock. Your planting location may call for a different stock so check locally. Al

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - AL
$564.99 | Hayneedle
Suzi Blue Cloud Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$243.00 | Bellacor
ViaVolt Garden Tools 4 ft. T5 High 8-Bulb Output Black Fluorescent Grow Light
Home Depot
Monterey Old-Fashioned Glass - Set of Four
$26.99 | zulily
Ephesus Collection Multicolor Tree Wave Contemporary Area Rug (8'2 x 9'10)
Overstock.com
Kenroy Home Lamps 61 in. Wood Grain Spool Floor Lamp 32588WDG
Home Depot
Olde Bronze Outdoor Wall 1-Light
PLFixtures
Sasha II Opal Matte Satin Nickel Mini Pendant
$153.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™