Root stock??

jenny_3947(7)August 25, 2008

The more I read in the forum, the more I realize how "uneducated" I am. Now that I am retired and don't expect to move anymore, I started a small orchard by buying fruit trees from nurseries...I also made some seedlings. WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR ROOT STOCK?? there is a small "meadow" on the property with some ?? young trees [less than one inch in diameter] can I use them for grafting??

Lot of questions, sorry...but learning is such a pleasure

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

You can bud or scion graft onto compatible young trees. Can you identify the trees you have growing? Al

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 9:50AM
jenny_3947(7)

I will have to ask our Son. They are the kind of young trees, which grow free. I was thinking of using them to transform some roses scion into rose trees and also some hydrangeas.
Sometimes I get those kind of ideas, mostly when I go thru catalogs and see the prices!
Right now I am thinking of a squirrel stew, after I realize how many of my reblooming lilies have disappeared!

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 11:53AM
calistoga_al

It is very unlikely you will be able to use your native trees as rootstock for anything in your garden. Check with your library for books on propagation that would help you with your project. If you know what rootstock you need you can grow your own either from seed or cuttings. When you buy a tree from the nursery they have been growing it for a year or two and have considerable labor expense, or they have purchased it from another nursery and need to make a profit to stay in business. Al

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 10:26AM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™