Rooting Hormone

kittens(Zone 5)August 7, 2011

I'm attempting to convert my perennial gardens into shrub gardens and would like to bump up my shrub inventory via propagating. Early on in my gardening efforts I wasn't very successful with the rooting hormone. So, I normally would just stick cuttings in potting soil (or water vase) and transplant in the fall if they've made it. I would like to bump up my success rate now since I have a purpose and have been lurking posts. I noticed that different percentages of rooting hormone are recommended for different species. Is there a rule of thumb on this or a guide I could reference? I have .10% - is that sufficient for most? If memory serves me correctly, I believe I was getting a lot of mold using the rooting hormone before. Was that because I used too much RH or just a moisture/circulation issue?

And on another note, is there any listings specific to Zone 5 on propagating (when to take cuttings, etc)? I'm trying to familiarize myself with just what is hardy in my zone. Most of my shopping is done at the box stores and I'm finding variety seems somewhat limited.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

I purchase a 0.9% rooting hormone then dilute with a fungicadal power to get desired strengths....The mold/fungal growth is a function of to wet soil & circulation problem.
I do not know of a single site for information My stand-by is a "Reference Manual of woody plant propagation" bY durr & Heuser
Most of my tips come from years of working with plants

Bookmark   August 7, 2011 at 2:42PM
kittens(Zone 5)

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 6:37PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

There is a GW forum for gardening in the Midwest - correspond with the folks there - they are very willing to answer your questions:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/mwgard/

Here is a link that might be useful: Zone 5 gardening

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 9:38PM
kittens(Zone 5)

Gosh, I'd never read that forum before. They have a lot of interesting discussions going. Thanks for the link.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 10:53PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Can you give brand name of rooting hormone? Normally I used powdered Rootone..would love to try using a liquid but where do I find it?

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 7:34PM
john_ny(z6/7 Sunset 34)

Pippi - Hormodin and Hormex are powdered types. Dip N Grow is a liquid. Just Google these names.

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™