transplating a jade plant

PudaAugust 17, 2013

thick heavy roots, branches are producing less and less leaves, lots of small new buds at base near dirt.
Pot is surely too small.

Break off heavy branches, allow break to dry up/crust over for a day or two, then transplant branches into new pots?

What kind of soil to use?

Once branches are pruned off, shall I keep the heavy base roots to transplant in a larger pot or not?
Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

No I would not save the roots from this pot. Much better off with the new roots from the cuttings. Al

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 11:27AM
griselinia(7/8)

I agree that the pot is way too small & also that it's best to start again; these plants will put up with a lot but even they can't thrive in such conditions. I have no experience of trying to root whole stems: I usually break off the green shoots & root them, though it's true you only get small plants that way. Why not try both?
The reason it's impractical to grow these to really large sizes successfully is that you would need larger & larger pots (to support the weight as well) so you'd need lots of room.
But there is a very interesting post further up this thread about a real monster: "When to Water Extremely large Jade Cutting"

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:50AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Oh, don't throw it away. Just put it in a bigger pot and give it a good soak! If you prune it nicely and remove all the crossing branches it will look a whole lot better. Good luck. Ian

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™