Butterfly Bush Cuttings

Bruster(z5MI)August 20, 2005

Thought I would ask another question this week of my favorite web community. My Butterfly bushes are about done flowering and I am curious if it is ok to take some cutting's now and stick them. Has anyone had luck with cutting's from these after they are spent?

Thanks,

Bruster

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Now is best time. I have best luck with half-hard, i.e. dark, but still pliable stems.

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 5:28PM
Bruster(z5MI)

Thanks Brenda near Eno, I will get busy with taking cutting's. Should I also use rooting hormone and how often should I mist the cutting's?

Bookmark   August 20, 2005 at 6:00PM
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

Rooting hormone, misting, and maintain no evidence of dampening off or botrytis. I take cuttings in the Spring through early fall, given that I have enough time before frost that the cuttings become hardened off and that the outer cambium layer is hardwood on the trunk of the plant.

Bookmark   August 21, 2005 at 8:54PM
sdafamily(Z 6- tenn.)

i also need to do cuttings but my bush is only a stem!
it never puts out branches and wants to act like a vine! help! i want to cut it down alot and stick cuttings...
will this work?

Bookmark   August 23, 2005 at 2:42PM
cindy_newgardener(z6 CT)

I'm really new at this, but I just potted up three butterfly bush cuttings that I started in oasis cubes about three weeks ago. I kept the cubes moist and sure enough, after watching and waiting, ROOTS!!

Bookmark   August 25, 2005 at 12:52PM
irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)

Cindy, what is oasis cubes?

Bookmark   August 28, 2005 at 1:33PM
cindy_newgardener(z6 CT)

Oasis is floral foam that has been described in recent posts as a rooting medium. I wish I knew how to post a link to the thread but if you search for "Ladysmith" who was the original poster, you can get all the info needed to try this method.

I started lavender, butterfly bush, verbena, salvia, hydrangea, sage and a few others about 3 weeks ago, and I have been potting the little plants up, cubes and all, as I see roots coming out of the floral foam.

I just cut the foam in about 1 inch cubes, soaked them until they were wet, drained off any excess water, poked a little hole in the top, and dipped the cuttings in rooting hormone. I put them in a plastic tray in my bathroom window (biggest window sill in the whole house!) and every time the cubes got light green (the color of oasis when its dry) I'd add more water and drain off any water that didn't get absorbed.

Of course, my DH wants to know what I plan on doing with all these little plants because I think he wants his bathroom back!

Bookmark   August 28, 2005 at 9:21PM
daddyjj

Has anyone found the link for establishing butterfly bush cuttings in Oasis. I just can't seem to find it. :)
Thanks! Jason

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 9:45AM
lee53011(5)

I did a search and found a link to it in another post, but Gardenweb cannot find it.

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 10:25AM
lee53011(5)

Try this link. I contains at least some of the information.

Here is a link that might be useful: foam board cuttings

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 10:36AM
daddyjj

Ok, thank you so much! Its very helpful!

Bookmark   July 22, 2007 at 12:01PM
hummers_haven

I noticed folks were trying to learn about Oasis Brick for propagation. I used this technique regularly and it is quite successful.

Oasis Brick is simply floral foam (that dry green stuff) - you can get it at Walmart, Michaels Crafts, Joann Crafts, or if all else fails, call your local florist and buy a piece from them.

The trick to success is to soak the brick in water about 30 minutes before use and to pre-pierce the block before adding the root with its preparation mixture. Then place your soaked brick in a clay pot with a saucer. Only water from the bottom making certain the Oasis Brick is moist - not soaking - during the rooting process. Keep the propagating plant in a cool, shady area that gets a good amount of light.

Before you know it, you will have success!

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:03PM
missmelon(Zone 5 Indiana)

I just trimed my little butterfy bush because it is in a cramped corner. I have never used rooting hormone. My indoor plant cuttings I just put them in water until I see suffient roots for potting. I have never propagated plants outside. If I buy some rooting hormone, what else can I use it for

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 1:37PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

What else can you use the hormone for?

A few things. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation technique by plant.

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 8:10PM
wyndyacre(z6B SW Ont.)

I posted a tutorial with photos, on propagating butterfly bushes by cuttings, early this spring. Here's a link to the post for anyone who's interested...

Here is a link that might be useful: Butterfly Bush Propagation from Cuttings with Photos

Bookmark   September 13, 2008 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Sponsored Products
Handmade Board with Handle
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Paradise PAR45-202 8' x 11'2" Red Rug
$580.67 | PlushRugs
Lake Como Double-Tiered Outdoor Side Table - Black, 18" Round, Patio Furniture
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Seville Classics Bamboo Cutting Board with PP Cutting Sheets
Overstock.com
WP RGBDW 5050 ColorPlus LED Strip Light 60/m 12mm wide 5m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Bagatelle Heirloom Gold One-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Wall Sconce, 8W
$625.00 | Bellacor
American Rug Craftsmen Dryden Chandelier Brown Runner Rug
$162.99 | LuxeDecor
Spike Spot Adjustable Outdoor Light
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™