Can I divide Hollyhock roots now?

mccommas(z5CT)August 11, 2007

I have several Hollyhock questions.

1# I have this gorgeous pink HUGE Hollyhock. My neighbor would like seeds from it but I am thinking maybe I could give her a piece of root instead so it will definitely bloom for her next year.

I don't know how to do this. I have read that it should be done in December. Is this true? I don't mind harming the mother plant a little bit since she has already gone to seed. And you would think that it would be better for the plant to have its roots harvested now when it has some time to repair the injury with several growing months left in the season.

2# Also curiously this plant had all pink flowers except for one stalk which was definitely coming from the same plant. This much shorter stalk had yellow flowers. Have you all seen this before? Two different colors from the same plant? Funny because I thought this plant was going to be yellow because I thought the plant I stole (yes I am a seed stealer!) them from was yellow but they surprised me.

Perhaps the yellow stalk is merely another plant very close to the larger one?

3# I have a black hollyhock nearby. Can I assume that seeds from the pink (or yellow) plant will probably be the same color as the mother or do they come out like kittens all different colors? I know they could have been cross pollinated with the black one by the bees but just how likely is that exactly?

I don't have a problem with different colors. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

1) I would wait till Dec to divide your plant its 90F outside today. 2) it is probably a seporate plant (with yellow flowers) will be able to tell this fall if divide that plant. 3) the plants will cross polinate But not sure of genetics of flower color of this species. I would expect a varitie of flower collor's on NEW plants grown from the seed. the ORIGINAL plants will always be of the same color

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 10:52AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

You can remove a division now if you want. Many plants might not make it right now, but hollyhocks are tough. The parent plant really shouldn't be affected at all by removing a small rooted division, and the division should be fine if well watered. Placing the new plant in light shade until established wouldn't hurt anything either.

You mentioned the root not having time to heal if the division was done in the winter. Roots continue to grow in winter. In many cases, root growth actually increases during late fall and winter. For most plants, divisions and transplants are best done during mid to late fall (your colder hardiness zone may change this some) or early spring. Some plants, like hollyhocks, can take it just about anytime with a little extra care.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 2:53PM
cornpop99_aol_com

I have bought a pair of two holly hawk roots from a home depot store. I have a place with rich soil in which to plant them. I was wondering since they were bought at a box store if I planted them this summer if they will actually bloom the first year being planted. I know plants started from seed may not bloom the first year.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 4:33PM
More Discussions
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Moisture retaining but inert media for layering?
Hi all, Been poking around the garden forums reading...
horti2791
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™