Mason Bees, when to put in the frig

jbest123(Zone 5 PA)August 12, 2007

Can anybody tell me when I can put the mason bees in the frige to portect them from predators? John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maternut(7 west tn)

John I have been looking at this post for eight days. I know my elevator does not allways go to the top. Would you please tell me, in simple terms what the heck you are talking about.
Confused Norm

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 4:39PM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

Hello Norm I use mason/orchard bees for pollinating my apple trees. In the spring they collect pollen and honey and deposit it along with an egg in a cardboard tube. They do this until the tube is filled, about 6 to 9 eggs. I now have the tubes in my garage while the eggs turn into larva and then next years bees. The problem is wasps try to steal the larva for there own eggs to feed on. I donÂt remember how long it takes for the new bees to fully develop so I can put them in the fridge until nest years apple blossoms start to emerge. John

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 6:18PM
maternut(7 west tn)

OK that makes sense to me now. Why can't you just put a screen over the tubes, to keep the wasps out until spring time?
Norm

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 9:57AM
jbest123(Zone 5 PA)

Hi Norm, I also want to control when they hatch. John

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 3:24PM
karyn1(7a)

Norm I'm glad you asked because I was wondering what he was talking about also. lol There's a bunch of sites online that discuss raising them for garden use. This one might have the info you're looking for. That's an interesting little bee.
Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Some info about raising the bees

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 1:30AM
lanternboy(Z8 WA)

Howdy,
I was a little surprised to see this post on the propagation topic but I do love my Mason bees. I don't move mine a all. I've been doing the mason bee thing for three years now and my bee population has really been thriving! I've heard of people bringing them in around October, but out here in Washington state I just let them bee! LOL

In the first part of the season I get mason bees filling my holes and then later in the season I get a lot of leaf cutter bees. I have seen a few with mites, but as a whole, they have been doing real good. I use 2 X 8 scrap wood, drill the holes, and just put out new ones every spring and they seem to like the new ones and when the old ones are through, I just burn them in my wood stove.

I also use the cardboard tube with paper linner method and it works good too. Make sure you order new supply of straw linners early because if you wait too long they may be hard to find. They get sold out.
Good luck,
Lanternboy

Bookmark   August 23, 2007 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™