Rooting before cutting.

squirmwurmAugust 28, 2013

Sorry for the very silly question, but I just can't remember. What is the type of propagation called where you first apply rooting hormone to a branch in order for it to grow roots prior to taking a cutting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

you are pprobably thinking of "air layering" but the technique involves more than jut applying a rooting hormone to a branch........

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:21PM
squirmwurm

re: yiorges-z5il

Absolutely, I understand there is more to it. I was just giving the general idea. Gonna look it up, think you're right on the name. Thanks

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:34PM
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Here's my two cents! When you apply the cutting in rooting hormone, you still have to plant it into soil. I did a clematis by layering last year. It is small now and I've got it started on a trellis. Don't I have to cut it from the orginal plant? Do I do that just by shovel prunning it?

Bookmark   October 9, 2013 at 7:16AM
florauk(8/9)

No, you do not 'shovel prune' it. You need first to ascertain that it has actually rooted. Since it is still attached to the parent there is no way of knowing if it is growing on its own roots or not yet. You need to poke about carefully where it is in the ground and see if it has roots. Only then do you cut it off its parents and dig it up carefully to transplant if you need to. But don't do it now. Wait for next spring.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™