Philodendron?????

dinajean(upstate SC -Zone 7b)August 22, 2007

My Mom passed away last year and my sis had one plant left of my Moms, not doing fantastic. I think it is a philodendron. I took two leaf cuttings and put rooting hormone and stuck them in dirt. (That was July 14, this year)They have not died yet but they have not rooted either. One of the leaves is turning brown. Is there anything I can do to get these leaves going? It is very sentimental....any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnytop

I would think philodendron could be started by sticking a stem in water. Seems to me I've done that years ago. Or using the stem cutting method. I didn't think philodendrons were very hard to root.

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 1:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Did you stick a stem with a "node", a joint looking feature of the stem, into the dirt? A leaf would be almost impossible to root outside a university laboratory unless you have a bit of stem with a node.

Several images at the link below. The positions may change but those about four through nine look pretty good at this time.

Roots in water never seem to me to be as healthy as roots in some solid. When I don't know for sure what I am expecting I get a clear plastic cup, add potting soil and water, and slip the cutting down the side so I can see when root formation begins. I sometimes set the cup within another solid cup so the root formation area will be dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: node images

Bookmark   August 27, 2007 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™