Pothos cutting not rooting help (pic included)

Hamid954August 22, 2013

I cut this clipping of this plant and placed it in the water for two weeks and it's nodes aren't growing at all. I'm afraid if I keep It longer in the water it might start rotting? I always change its water. Should I put the cutting in dirt instead? Can anyone give me some advice please on propagating this plant. I'm not 100% sure if this cutting is pothos or philodendron. Also, I circled the nodes in the picture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

It's Pothos (Epipremnum.) Laying it in a bowl like that is a little unconventional. Usually the leaves are kept out of the water completely. I might remove the lone mid-stem leaf and put the whole stem in something like a wine bottle. Whatever you decide, when you see which node is going to take root first, then you can put it in a pot horizontally, curled like that. Pinning it to the soil surface instead of actually burying would increase the chances of the other nodes taking root, resulting in more new tips. Doesn't look at all like it's going to rot to me, just needs more time.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 1:14PM
gconn(6)

I'm doing the same thing except mine is in a mason jar. Been two weeks also and no signs of rooting. Thanks for the advice purpleinopp. I know it was aimed at Hamid954 but it will help me as well.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 8:57PM
sherylgallant(Kelowna, BC z6)

As long as it still has a green leaf and the stem is not slimyrotten, it will still root. It looks to me like its going to root. I think they root faster if you can keep the water from getting too cold. I have had them take longer than a month to root.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 7:03PM
sherylgallant(Kelowna, BC z6)

As long as it still has a green leaf and the stem is not slimyrotten, it will still root. It looks to me like its going to root. I think they root faster if you can keep the water from getting too cold. I have had them take longer than a month to root.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 7:07PM
chickencoupe

When a cutting is dead a hairy film begins to develop around the portion of the cutting under water as it slowly decays/dies.

Otherwise, it just needs more time.

Bookmark   September 22, 2013 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant (zone 9TX)
Apple Tree from seed
Hello knowlegeable people! I have some trees started...
bobcat115
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™