If I root plants now, what would I do with them if they 'work'?

juliamay67August 1, 2008

This might be a ridiculous question, but I have been reading this thread and am getting all excited for propagating by cuttings. I would like to get started with a few things, let's say hydrangea and scarlet verbena for our hypothetical discussion.

My question is, if I start this now, they grow roots within a couple of weeks, what will I do with these young plants when the weather turns cold? Treat them as houseplants? Just protect them outside by making a little homemade coldframe-thing or ??? What do you do when your little cuttings are reading to leave the nest?

Thank you for any advice & ideas.

Julia in Woodinville, Western WA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Hardy Deciduous & herbacious perennials overwinter in cold frame. Tender perennials & annuals over winter as house plants.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 12:16PM
lavernialadybug(8B)

Watch for plant swaps in your area - or have a plant sale instead of a garage sale. You can trade on this site, also. Good luck with your new and fun projects.

Bookmark   August 8, 2008 at 5:20PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I root things just for the fun of it, and if I learn something I can apply that knowledge next time.

I tinker with rooting Russian sage almost all year long. I usually toss the product as I don't need more than I now have.

Bookmark   August 9, 2008 at 2:24PM
calistoga_al

Your post hit home for me. For amateur propagators failure is a lot easier to accept than success. I end up with hundreds of plants out growing their pots, and demanding to be potted up to the next size. I donate to several plant sales a year to try and keep ahead, and yet when I walk through my garden I see lots of attractive shrubs I have never propagated I am overwhelmed with the desire to start cuttings. So what is the cure? Al

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™