potting mix for cuttings

hedwig(QLD Brisbane)August 3, 2008

I have a very similar question posted in seed raising.

At the moment I use a standard potting mix for my cuttings and the results are better than with my seeds, but improvable.

Who mixes his own potting mix for cuttings? I want to mix something soil free due to movement restrictions in our area.

The materials should be cheap and easily obtainable. Do you adjust the mixture on each plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

I use materials that are availabe in my area. (I also sterilize, & adjust fertility & pH) Materials include sawdust, wood chips. sand, shreaded corn cobs soy bean hulls etc..... I also include peat moss, perlite & vermiculite. The mix is recorded, tested & when I get the best results I duplicate the mix propotions. (trial & Error) By the way I do have a "ideal" mix BUT am not willing to share with my competion. Why should I give then the benifit of my costley trials.

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 1:17PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Decades ago I had a greenhouse and did many rooting experiments, among other things.

I tended to favor starting with fine sharp sand, used by the people who lay tile, and mix in a few nutrients. African violet potting soil was a favorite additive. Less additive for cacti and succulents, more additive for faster growing cuttings.

I have subsequently seen people who objected to sharp sand and who objected to fine sand.

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 12:47PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

It depends on how fast and 'easy' the cutting being propagated. The easy 'sure' ones I start individually in their own pot with my potting soil. The reason is, I can avoid repotting and causing a check in the growth. Most I start in a mix of about 80% perlite to 20% peat in what is called Root Trainers which allows each rooted plant to be removed when ready with out disturbing the others not yet rooted. Al

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Dracena Song of India: pruning propagation
Bought a Song of India (Dracena) a few months back....
edbyrnes
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Sponsored Products
21 in. Outdoor Round Resin Tall Daniel Planter - A433017
$361.80 | Hayneedle
Ramon Soler by Nameeks US-4729 Single Handle Kitchen Faucet - US-4729
$689.92 | Hayneedle
Amphora Copper Hose Pot - With Lid
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Area Rug: Anatolia Red and Navy 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Ivory 6 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Anatolia Brown / Tan 4 ft. x 4
Home Depot
19" Classic Copper Patio Planter - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Eva Table Lamp
$545.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™