Choosing Grafting Understock

dahlia_guy(Zone 8 Oregon)August 19, 2007

Where can I find out what types of understock are compatible with which scion wood? What understock do you use if you want to graft a Hydrangea paniculata on a standard? What about Syringa meyeri on a standard? These are just a few of the many examples I am looking for answers to. I have heard of some strange combinations that I would never think of, like grafting Chamaecyparis pisifera on Thuja occidentalis. Is there an "understock" book that tells all of this info? Many thanks!

Travis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearstate(9A)

Travis,

Go to the California Gardening Forum and page down in the list to find a thread I started called "Graft and Corruption". There you will become aquainted with a fellow named Joe Real, who has done a lot of grafting of fruit trees and is very knowledgeable.

You may in fact find your answers in that thread and if not, perhaps Joe can help you out. He is more involved with fruit trees however and not hydrangeas.

Note that the thread reveals that grafts do not typically hold across plant family lines, if at all or rarely so.

Good Luck

Bookmark   August 19, 2007 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
Avocado tree from a seed
If I cut the sprout of my avocado tree from the seed,...
ellen1818
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™