Propagating Cuttings, Fungi

DennisBonsaiSeptember 12, 2013

Hello all,

I am trying to propagate a nice, slightly big (1 cm) cutting from my boxwood, but I encountered a fungus problem.

I planted the cutting in normal potting soil after dipping it in CuttingHormone, watered it and put it in a dark shed with a plastic bag over it. After 2-3 months, the cutting had shoots everywhere with nice 4-6 leaved branches and tried to grow it outside in the shade.
Unfortunately, the next morning all the leaves were wilting and after a week back in the plastic bag the leaves where strong again, but a fungi had infiltrated the bag and had infected some of the leaves.

What should I do? The cutting has rooted and showed a lot of new growth, but it is not strong enough for the outside world, but in the bag it will be covered in fungi.

Notable: it is kinda cold outside here in the Netherlands, maybe the bases of Botrytis..

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?
- Just let it harden of in the shade, the wilting will dissapear over time.
- Put it indoors in the bag and refresh the air every other day.
- Or are fungicides my only option?

I hope for some nice suggestions,
Dennis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I would let it harden off in the shade and just watch it suffer until it adjusts to the new growing conditions. If it is well rooted it will pull through after looking bad for a day or two. Al

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 10:22AM
DennisBonsai

Oke, I will let it harden off outside.
I also had contact with another bonsai fanatic and he encountered the same problem, but only with his bigger boxwood cuttings. All of his youngher and smaller cuttings were doing just fine!
He grew them outside in the shade as you advised.

Does anyone have any self-experience with cleaning brances with 70% alcohol or diluted bleach + a tooth brush?

Thanks for replying,
I'll give an update on the progress.

Dennis

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 7:19AM
florauk(8/9)

I have rooted box cuttings many times and I think that your problem is due to the plastic bag and the darkness. That will encourage weak floppy growth which is bound to be prey to fungal infections and unless brought into the light it is doomed to die. I simply place several small 10 - 20 cm cuttings into cuttings compost and put them outside in a sheltered area. I water once and then leave it to the rain.

I don't know why you placed the cutting in the dark. I've never seen that recommended.

I agree with leaving the bigger cutting outside and letting it take its chances. The temperature is not a problem.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 10:36AM
Campanula UK Z8

also, I never use organic (or otherwise) potting soil for cuttings - it's sand, perlite, even vermiculite all the way for me - I even had some success using those expanded clay granules (hydroleca?).
IME, anything humusy or loamy, even sterile potting mixes, are really at risk of fungal contamination.
Yep, box is easy from cuttings.....but takes forever.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 8:59AM
DennisBonsai

@florauk: I put my cutting in the dark shed because I thought that it was the best place for a stable temperature and no direct sunlight. I know now that it was a mistake.

The cutting is in the shade, no fungi, but also no growth for now.

Bookmark   September 23, 2013 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Royal Poinciana Tree Grafting (Delonix Regia, Flamboyant)
Anyone out there have any experience grafting the Royal...
nsboyd1210
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™