How long should roots be?

galoSeptember 2, 2010

I'm new to propagation and am wondering how long should roots be before transferring?

Also, one crepe Myrtle has wonderful roots, but no new growth...should I wait to transfer?

Thanks,

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

The creepe myrtle should be transplanted now the plant is most likley going dormant & will take off next spring.
Once roots have formed the plant is able to take up water & nutrients & go on its own so length is not important... It should be noted that the larger the root mass is the more roots that will be damanaged in removing from rooting medium & transplanting.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 8:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

"The creepe (sic) myrtle should be transplanted now the plant is most likley going dormant & will take off next spring."

I disagree. My crApe myrtles here in zone 6 aren't even close to going dormant. Wait at least a month for better results. In zone 7, you can safely transplant anytime the ground is not frozen between leaf drop and early spring.

"Once roots have formed the plant is able to take up water & nutrients & go on its own so length is not important..."

I disagree again. The cuttings should have sufficient root structure to supply enough water and nutrients to the cutting. If roots are just beginning to form, transplanting too soon can result in a dead plant due to transplant shock and the cutting's inability to get enough water and nutrients to overcome the transplant shock and grow.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sponsored Products
Salma Slat Back Counter Height Chairs - Black - Set of 2 - 700201BLK
$150.00 | Hayneedle
Engage Armchair Wood Set of 2 in Azure
$999.00 | LexMod
Hydro Systems Jetted Bathtubs Brighton 5.5 ft. Freestanding Air Bath Tub in
Home Depot
One Minute To Go Hour Glass
| Dot & Bo
Glistening Ridge Rug 12' x 15' - SILVER
$5,499.00 | Horchow