Elephant ears

ladycraft(6b MO)September 17, 2008

Neighbor gave me some shoots she had on her plants. If I need to go to another site let me know. I'm in SW MO zone 6 and am not sure they will winter and don't really have the room to plant all of them in pots in the house.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
token28001(zone7b NC)

Are there bulbs attached? If they are, you can cut off the foliage, let the bulbs dry in a nice warm, airy place. Then store them in a paper bag in a dark, cool place for the winter. In the spring, plant them out after the last chance of frost. I can usually keep them in the ground in zone 7, but I've lost a few here and there due to extreme cold.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladycraft(6b MO)

No there aren't any bulbs attached. I was given some earlier this year without bulbs but they were potted and are in the ground now. I think I will dig them and try to save them. I'm assuming they form bulbs when they get bigger. I planted a huge bulb this year and didn't get but 2 small leaves. From observing those that have large leaves I must not have mine in enough sun. The weather has been weird here this year. We had so much rain I was late getting them in the ground. Ended up mudding some of my other plants in. Then it got hot and we have had numerous rains of 6"-7" When we are usually dried up by now.

Bookmark   September 17, 2008 at 8:13PM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
'cloning machines' are they any good?
I've looked at some photos (on a website) that show...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™