Taking down fence. Now what?

big_daddi(8a)January 24, 2013

We live in Dallas County Texas USDA Zone 7 where the summers are extreme and winters somewhat cold. Continuous four season weather is not always the case.

We are removing the backyard fence. We are not going to install another fence so we are seeking suggestions about what to use along our property line. Our current idea is to use some type of trimmed or untrimmed evergreen shrubs for a hedge along our property border. Narrow space yet long run. We really need suggestions since we want to get this right the first time. Please ask as many questions as needed. Trees will not be used.

Details.....

About 50% of our backyard slopes downward at the approximate same angle as ours neighbors. The remainder of the back yard is a bit more complex. The other 50% of our yard is higher than the neighbors. At a certain point their property begins a steady downward slope until it levels off at approximately 5' below grade which is at the northwest rear of our property. Our northwest backyard is separated from the neighbors property by a crosstie berm.

Thank you in advance

This post was edited by big_daddi on Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 0:25

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mswillis5

Sorry can't give much advice to you for the fence but the USDA zones changed recently. We are now in zone 8.

I took down some fence last year and I am putting a temporary fence of corn and sunflowers this year until I can afford to put a full fence in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas USDA Zones

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 4:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
big_daddi(8a)

Thank you mswillis5

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Rehabbing an Old Azalea Garden
Back in the late 60's an azalea hedge was planted in...
cajun-qn81
establish new sideyard with perennials I have to divide.
We bought a big lot beside us. We graded it and I do...
gudrun6b
Overgrown Garden- tips or hints?
We recently decided to tackle a 40x100 ft section of...
Bemhawk83
How can I get rid of this thing???
Since we moved in to this (rental) house 3 years ago,...
emorems0
Overwhelmed by inherited garden
I have an older established flower garden that I inherited...
belleduggan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™