Bring baby maples indoors for the winter?

dac17September 7, 2008

I have dug up several baby Japanese Maples trees and placed them in pots. They are about 2-4 inches in height and have been doing well (I dug them up and potted them about 3 weeks ago and they seem to be doing fine). My question is weather I should bring them indoors for the winter or not. I am afraid that they will damage or die in the harsh Massachusetts winter. Please share your thoughts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

iF BRING INSIDE MUST KEEP SOIL DAMP NOT WET & COOL TEMPERATURE JUST ABOVE FREEZING LIGHT WOULD ALSO HELP.
oUTSIDE A COLD FRAME WOULD BE IDEAL OTHER WISE COVER POT WITH SOIL & PLACE STRAW ON TOP. AGAIN THE POTTING SOIL MUST BE KEPT DAMP ALL WINTER LONG

Bookmark   September 9, 2008 at 5:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
butterfly4u

I have no idea where in the country you are located, but I put a little baby Japanese Maple Emperor I, in my basement in November, when it really started getting cold and windy, right in his pot and watered it about once a week all winter long.
In the spring, around May 1, I brought him out, and he leaved out for me and grew fine.
Get him use to the sun gradually though.
If you have a front porch with shade but bright light, it is great for the little tree when he is "waking up" from his winter sleep.
Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™