Need to Find Help for Renovation

cpboyce(8)January 6, 2013

My garden is a mess. I began it from scratch when we built the house in 1997 and after a few years of neglect (health reasons and other circumstances) it has become an overwhelming renovation project. I have over 50 old garden roses in beds that cover the small city lot sized property. There is no lawn. I have gravel paths between the beds. My husband and I are determined to get it back into some semblance of order, but it has gone beyond what we two can do alone.
Can anyone recommend a good gardener helper or service in the Olympia WA area?

C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

You could also ask the secretary of your local garden club if they know of anyone who can tackle a recovery project. Or ask any neighbours who you know have help in the yard.

As someone who does this work here - it really helps if you have clear ideas in mind for any changes, and a realistic appreciation of how long some work can take. It's NOT the same as having someone come by to cut the grass and edges, and do a little pruning work. It has to be someone you're comfortable talking with, and who you feel understands your intention for the garden and your ongoing needs there.

If you don't mind having chemicals used in the yard (eg weedkillers) then some of the clean-up can be fairly quickly done. If you prefer there to be no chemicals, then weeding gravel can be a long hard slog for very little to show for the time put in.

Be prepared to buy in more gravel to top up the paths to cover any bare patches. Or convert the key paths to attractive concrete and leave the secondary paths in gravel.

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 3:42AM
More Discussions
Ding Yew
My parents have some old yew foundation hedges that...
edlincoln
Overwhelmed by inherited garden
I have an older established flower garden that I inherited...
belleduggan
Overgrown garden help
How can I remove these plants that seem to be at the...
court623
Back to Eden
Would a Back To Eden Garden (BTE) be a good resource...
dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
LARGE overgrown garden... what and when and how?
I saw a few posts similar to mine... bought a house,...
ScarlettAnne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™