Planting rooted diffenbachia stem cutting

bethfl(7b)September 16, 2010

This plant has been in our family for years and I'm trying to start new ones for relatives. Going to try to attach a photo. In case there's no pic I'll try to describe it. It's been in a dish of water, laying horizontally - a thick stem about an inch and a half in diameter. New roots are growing at the bottom and two new stems have formed at the"top." This is where I've run into problems before after placing in soil . . . the thick stem begins to rot or shrivel. I've read that some people keep them in water but I'd rather plant. Any advice is so appreciated!

I don't see how to attach pic so I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

Beth in SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

1) water roots are not stable when placed in soil ...& they die & so may the stem.... this true for all plants
2) apply o.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained, but moist soil & mist 1-2 time a day if needed
3) If you must start in water watch carefully for the very first appearance of a root then put in moist soil. keep soil damp & mist 1-2 times a day....

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 1:00PM
bethfl(7b)

Thank you for your reply. I use rooting hormone for most of my cuttings but with no luck the two times I tried it with a diffenbachia stem. Wish I could post a pic - the new plantlet is very healthy - about six inches tall. Do you mean use the r h on this one or a new one?
Beth

Bookmark   September 16, 2010 at 1:31PM
yvette56

My diffenbachia plant is about 6 years old. It's the large leaf variety. In august I cut it back because it was leggy and put it back in the soil. The top portion of the 5 leaves were healthy, however, since then all of the leaves has turned yellow and died. There is one new leaf left and it has not opened and it is turning yellow. I cut it back again because the cutting got mushy. Can you help. I'm trying to save this plant,because my father started it for me and he is now deceased. Please help. thanks

Bookmark   January 9, 2013 at 2:05PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi Yvette, welcome to Gardenweb! I would encourage you to start a new discussion in the house plant forum for your new question. Your question will be noticed by many more growers of Dief there. Has the original part from which you cut the top started to make a new top yet?

Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 12:45PM
More Discussions
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Germination Chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™