Hollyhocks

cwilliams5(z5NY)September 26, 2005

A friend just gave me three Hollyhock plants that are offspring from her beautiful, mature plants. After trying to find information on planting these "babies", I am now wondering if they will winter over, come up next spring, and produce flowers. I am thinking that maybe she should have given me some seed pods instead. I can't find any info on planting young Hollyhocks and I don't want to plant them if they won't take hold. Any advice and help will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgez5il(z5 IL)

Dividing the plant at this time poses NO problem. Just dig the hole the same depth & wider than your transplants. then cover them & water... most of the plants start growth in the spring & will give you flowers. IF your friend should give you some seed then plant them in the area you want the plants Cover the seed & water. again will have plants /flowers in the spring.... Reamber there are annual & perennial hollyhocks....

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 7:18PM
ironside(Zone 5 Ohio)

I have Old Fashion Barnyard Mix Hollyhocks. Are they a perenial or biennial? Do I nned to save the seeds or will they replenish themselves each year?

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 12:11PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I would save a few seed from the old fashion hollyhocks just in case but I would expect them to replenish themselves.

Hollyhocks are one of the things that will come back year after year out in the Great Basin of Nevada and Utah where the sage brush and tumble weed are sparse and sickly.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Original Painted Hollyhock Study - PINK
$895.00 | Horchow
Hollyhock Birdhouse
$180.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™