What is growing in my vase?

ourfamilygarden(6)September 16, 2012

Okay, I don't know where else to ask this question. LOL. I've googled all and looked, and only found one person (and they weren't sure what it was).

I was rooting some cuttings in a vase of water. These cuttings take a long time. The plants are fine. But, I saw these little things swimming around. I've NEVER had this before!

I freaked thinking they were some sort of maggot! Then, someone told me they were tadpoles?

So, I planned on putting them in an old fishtank we have and I began to google. No I'm not sure, again. LOL. Tadpoles I see (and have seen in the past) are all dark. These are clear bodied with a dark dot where the head is.

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Does anyone know for certain what they are?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourfamilygarden(6)

OK, Nevermind. LOL. I just got a very good macro shot of them where I could see their characteristics better. They appear to be some type of larvae - so they are no longer in our home. LOL.

That has never happened before. I was propogating a plant that I'd recently bought.

Now, I think I'm going to give my friend a lesson on the difference between tadpoles and larvae. LOL. I was skeptical to start with, but didn't want to take the chance that I'd be killing little tadpoles.

Well, at least I have an old aquarium primed and ready to go. So, I think I'll do something with it :)

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 12:32PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

mosquito???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 7:39AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What size are these things? My first guess, without any more to go on, would also be a mosquito larvae.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Fog propagation
I started propagating Muscadine Vines A few years ago....
Muscadines978
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
grape vine cuttings in summer?
I have to prune some grapevines which are too vigorous....
loewenzahn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™