Preparing a Plumeria cutting

willajoSeptember 24, 2009

I'm new to gardening and even newer to plumerias. I have found quite a bit of info about planting a cutting, but not much about how to take a cutting, prepare it and store it.

A coworker was kind enough to give me the plumeria cutting below. From what I read, I should trim the leaves off the plant which I did. What else do I need to do? Do I need to cut off the flowers and that claw thing at the top?

Is this cutting an appropriate size? It is end of September here in Long Beach where I live. Would it be best if I stored the cutting until the spring to plant, or do I have enough time to get it to root before the winter? For storage, I was planning to just stick it in my closet until sometime in March.. does that sound right? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks so much for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimo1820

I live in Thousand Oaks and have just started several cutting about the same size in my greenhouse. I cut off most of the leaves (except the leaves emerging from the top of the cutting) and I cut off the bloom. I would think you are OK to start the cutting now since you live in Long Beach. Just baby it until next spring.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Need help with a sick Plumeria
Glad to have joined your site and hello from sunny...
mag107
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Thai Super Round Blooming In February.....Happy Valentine's Day!!!
Hello everyone!! I hope you all are enjoying the warmth...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™