Starting large cutting that has flower stems

sunseeker53(10a CA USA)September 5, 2010

I was given a couple of large cuttings (2 ft. long) that have flower stems on them. I stripped all the leaves except for the very tiny brown ones at the tip, but I don't have the heart to cut off the flower stems, as the flowers are so beautiful!!! I have sealed the cut with latex caulking, and after it has dried, I've put the cuttings into a bucket a water because the trunks have started to look a little wrinkled. Should I have let the cuttings dry out? I've heard somewhere that they could root in water. Am I doing something that could kill the cuttings? Anybody have any suggestions? I would hate to lose them!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Some cuttings will root with an inflo so I usually leave them alone unless I see that the foliage isn't growing. If the foliage isn't growing I cut the inflo so the energy goes towards rooting.

I don't seal the bottom of a cutting. I dust the end of my cuttings with rooting powder that contains a fungicide. Then you want it to cure for a week or so before potting it up. You seal the ends of cut stems that are still on a rooted plant with caulk. I soak cuttings in water with some Superthrive and/or B1 added prior to potting.

Some people do water root. I've done it with P. pudica but I think soil is a more reliable rooting medium.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 9:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunseeker53(10a CA USA)

I don't know why my follow-up post didn't show up, so am resending it.
Thanks for your suggestions. I have taken the cuttings out of the bucket of water, sprinkled rooting powder on them and letting them cure. I'll plant them in pots in a week. Will post the progress hopefully if they root and grow leaves. Thanks!

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
My Plumeria Tree After NE Flotrida Hard Freeze .
Hello gang; This plumeria has been outside all winter...
edzone9
winter projects
well, it just finished raining in drought California....
rox146
Plumies doing better
Hello! Just an update. My beautiful plumies are doing...
tamela_star
overall, hoping for a great year...more room
in looking at how we have moved things around, hoping...
rox146
Sally Moragne
Sally Moragne is another that doesn't want to relax...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™