when to try prop. perennial flowers?

debndulcySeptember 5, 2010

I'll be moving sometime over the next few months and would like to take some of my garden with me, if I can..:) I've tried, using cuttings/methods described in here and elsewhere, to root special echinaceas, phlox, veronica, and hellianthus, w/o success over the last few months. I expect some of it had to do with the excessive heat we've had.

Not sure, but think I read the best time to try rooting perennials is spring/early summer, or new/early growth. Is that true?

I'd much appreciate any info, or references that would help me decide whether to try.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

Cuttings of firm new growth often found spring or early summer is easest to root. You might also consider dividing the plant late fall

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 9:28AM
debndulcy

Thank you, yiorges-.. Sounds as if I remembered correctly. I may still try for some rooting. They're in long enough to divide.

'Appreciate the assistance -

D.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 1:17PM
cardarlin(5)

One of my friends just bought a house and one of the conditions was that the previous owner could take some of the perennials with them. But their gardens were so big that a lot of it needed to be divided up anyways. I agree with yiorgie better to divide probably. Have you collected any seed from the echinaceas? They should be ready to drop seed right about now. My other friend usually collects seed from hers and spreads it elsewhere in the yard.

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 7:07AM
debndulcy

I mis-typed earlier, in that I don't think they're in long enough to have clumps large enough to divide. Though since my beds are really full, I might try to work something out.

Thank you for the suggestion about echinacea seed. I confess I've never collected/grown from my own seed. This would be a good time to learn. I'm guessing I'll find instructions on here in the seed forum...

Bookmark   September 15, 2010 at 8:33AM
calistoga_al

Many perennials grow so fast in the spring they require multiple pinching to keep within bounds. Those pinched parts are usually very easy to start. Some plants like mums I can't save all the new starts, for lack of planting space. Al

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 9:22AM
debndulcy

That's a great thought, Al.. I too, try to 'stick' my mum and aster clips in the spring, summer, and can never do all for lack of supplies and space - given all else I'm usually trying to start. Wondering now if I should have been pinching my phlox back, btw, as they've got multiple heads on top from dead-heading and they don't look so great.

Bookmark   September 19, 2010 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
I'm Lazy--What can you root in plain old water???
Are there any perennials that you can just put in water...
love2weed
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
propagating persimmon with cutting.
i read same subject in this forum and finding that...
bullet08
Propagating Angel vine???
Is there a secret to starting a cutting from this awesone...
MauiDave
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™