How do I find the seed on a Victoria Blue Sage?

mt1749September 26, 2013

I'm hoping that by overwintering my Victoria Blue they will survive the winter, but I'm not holding my breath. I want to try to grow some from seed, but I have never grown anything from seed and I feel completely lost.

How and where do I get the seed from the plant?
When should I take the seed from the plant?
What's the next step? And the next?

I have been searching for this information but I haven't found anything that is dumbed down to the level that I need it to be.

Thanks so much for any help/advice. I'm really excited about doing this. I just don't know where to start.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Seeds are formed from the flower. After the flower fades the seeds are produced. When the flower stems drys cut it off and put it in a paper bag and the seeds will fall out and you will need to find them and separate from the chafe. Seed identification sites are available on the internet to show you what the seed looks like. Some named plants are hybrids not producing viable seeds so you should check. In our climate I take cuttings to expand plantings. Al

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 10:03AM
norma_2006

Okay how do you now get results with planting the seed, you told us how to harvest them what next. Please and thank you. Norma

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:34PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

norma if you want to grow from seed, you need to know all seed can not be treated the same. Many will have ways to prevent germination until conditions are right for their growth. There are sites on line with germination data bases, which will tell you how to treat most seeds before planting, including best temperature for germination. Al

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™