Please...how to take cuttings from Mexican Petunia...

maryhelen(z8b FL)September 21, 2005

and then how to best root them? Mine is not the invasive type.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

I found several sources, one of which is linked below. It appears that the common sorts of Ruellia can be propagated by stem cuttings which root easily, or by root cuttings, as well as by seed. Mexican petunias are viewed as somewhat invasive in warm climates.

Another link:

http://web.tri-isys.com/greenhearts/petal2.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruellia information

Bookmark   September 22, 2005 at 10:55PM
baci(z10Ca)

Cut off a piece of stem, remove the lower leaves, & stick it in the ground. You can also root them in water. If it is warm, they can wilt, so water rooting may be better. You can stick the entire cutting in water to refresh it, & when temperatures cool off, stick the roots only in water.
Bush & dwarf varieties root this way. Dwarf varieties also propagate easily by rhizome division.

Bookmark   September 23, 2005 at 7:26AM
surrealgarden(z7b NC Asheville)

You didn't mention what kind of Mexican Petunias you have- I have the tall purple mexican petunias. Basically, as long as your plant has flowered once, you can cut off about 6 inches from the top, cut the leaves all in half to reduce stress, then slice the cut end up about 1/2" to 1 " to allow more water to be absorbed. Stick the cutting in dirt in sun and just water a little daily for 1-2 weeks. By then you will have roots and the plant is on it's own. You can also easily propogate by dividing roots. I found that when rooting the Mexican Petunias I have in water- they drop leaves and sag.

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 3:46AM
baci(z10Ca)

I forgot to add that I add an airstone to my water, which may counteract wilting. You should wait until after they flower, but when mine break off they root this way. My variety is the tall purple  the dwarf I divide the rhizome.

Bookmark   November 9, 2005 at 6:55AM
More Discussions
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Flower buds growing and swelling on callery pear tree cuttings?
i took 12 cuttings of a pretty callery flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Why do some daffodils never increase in numbers?
(This has been cross-posted.) I'm really confused with...
tete_a_tete
How much light for cuttings?
How much light needs a bed for cuttings? If I put some...
loewenzahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™