Want to reproduce mystery plant

ordomanSeptember 10, 2010

Hello!

I recently moved into a new house, and in the yard there is this 4m tall tree with gorgeous bright pink flowers that look like they're made from crepe paper:

I would like to grow another tree like it, but given that I am a complete beginner, I have absolutely no idea what species of plant this is or how it reproduces. Any pointers you could give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

I suggest you take a tip cutting. Apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist. most likly will take 25-60 days to root

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 8:19AM
garystpaul(4)

Ordoman, that is one beautiful HIBISCUS. As yiorges noted, you can propagate it via tip cuttings. I do this routinely for new plants in my attached greenhouse. Your plant should root quite readily. Make the cutting about 4" or so, strip all but a few leaves at the top and pinch out any nascent flower buds. Make a fresh diagonal cut and perhaps strip about 3/4" of the very outer layer of the cutting (this depends on how soft or how woody the cutting is; if soft, don't bother with this step). Dip in rootone or other hormone, if you have it, put the cutting in a porous mixture of potting soil plus vermiculite, perlite or coarse sand, firm the mix around the cutting, then use a mister, as suggested, or put it under a plastic or glass dome (or, as I do, in a translucent plastic storage box), out of direct sunlight. It will root more readily in warmer temps (70s, 80s). Good luck. Gary

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 9:16PM
greenendup

Ordoman - that looks like a gorgeous "rose-of-sharon" (Hibiscus syriacus). I am in the Northwest - These plants root readily here if you just take cuttings about 8-12 inches long in the fall (after leaves have fallen) and shove them in the ground about 1/2 way. Hormone would surely help, but we have a pretty high success rate just sticking them "au natural".

Bookmark   October 5, 2010 at 3:27PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

It's certainly a Hibiscus but I don't think it's the hardy H syriacus. The OP is in Mexico and the plant looks like H. rosa-sinensis to me.

Bookmark   October 13, 2010 at 8:34AM
More Discussions
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Gardenia not layering
About a year ago, I bent one of the branches of my...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Clonex gel turned liquid
When my Clonex gel was about a year old and I went...
jbclem
If cuttings have been rooting for 3 weeks, is it ok to now put on heat
I took several cutting of differant plants about 3...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Finding Spring Arrangement
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Disheveled Shelving Unit
$528.99 | Dot & Bo
Menagerie Resin Rose Window Panel Holdbacks (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Bistro Dining Set - Fermob
$527.00 | HORNE
Butler Heritage Greenwich Planter
Beyond Stores
Bougainvillea Bouquet
$525.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™