spice bush

dinajean(upstate SC -Zone 7b)September 3, 2007

Does anyone know if I can propagate a spice bush from a softwood cutting? I also have a couple dried pods from this summer with seeds inside. Can I and how do I proceed with propagating it with those seeds? I have never grown anything from seed before, very new at this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Dina :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Are you talking about Lindera Benzoin (which has red berries) or Calycanthus floridus?

Bookmark   September 5, 2007 at 9:07PM
dinajean(upstate SC -Zone 7b)

I believe it is a Calycanthus - it has the pods that look like okra in the summer.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 1:04PM
esh_ga

From cuttings I would scrape the last inch or so of the stem a bit to expose more of the wood to rooting hormone. Dip the stem in hormone and put in a sterile mix (use a stick to make the hole and then tamp the mix around the stem once it is the hole).

I cover my stem cuttings with a plastic bag & rubber band and they are self watering. Recently I put several potted cuttings into a large rubbermaid type container and covered the whole thing with plastic sheeting and secured with bungee cords.

As for the pods, you can probably crack them open to get the seeds and winter sow them. If you are not sure it is Calycanthus, you might want to do a web search to confirm. We call Calycanthus floridus "sweet shrub" around here so as not to confuse it with Lindera benzoin. There are lots of other common names for it besides that.

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Plant Propagation, AHS
American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation. Most...
Hermitian
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
plant growth regulators
Hi all, just found this web site selling plant growth...
stoker128
problem with carica papaya seedling survival
Hi I live in a temperate zone, have a large conservatory,...
marcyoung
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™