Blossom end rot in bell peppers

ElisePTJuly 15, 2013

Hi,
I have this great looking red pepper plant that had begun to produce fruit only to begin rotting at the bottom of the maturing fruit! After doing some research, I found based on pictures and description that this is blossom end rot. Everything I've read has been to prevent the problem prior to planting. Is there any way to fix the problem if the plant has been planted and growing in the ground for a while?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willardb3

You're too late to fix the problem now.

Also, check your Ph next time as wrong Ph will inhibit nutrient (calcium) uptake.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:05AM
ldj1002(8b)

If PH then why do mine some years I have blossom end rot and some years not. I never do anything to raise or lower PH. PH is likely same year after year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:43AM
woohooman

ldj1002: one would think that ph stays the same, but it doesn't. It can change throughout the year. Heavy rains and watering can leach out nutrients which would change it. Amending soil more one year than another could also do the same.

That's why adding OM to your soil is important -- it helps buffer those fluctuations. Allowing your plants to take up the nutrients they need.

There are also varieties of toms and peppers that are just more susceptible to BER.

Kevin

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
Jeff_H

No, no, no. It isn't too late to fix the problem, it is just too late for those particular peppers. The plant will survive if you get it the calcium it needs. Remember, calcium is not a mobile nutrient. Leaves or fruit that are damaged from a lack of calcium can not be fixed but new growth will be fine.

The absolutely easiest way to fix this is to start feeding your plant some Cal-Mag mixed in the water. Follow the directions and don't over do it.

Next year, make sure egg shells are in the recipe for amending your soil. They will take time to break down into usable calcium to that won't help you this year.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 12:57PM
woohooman

Elise: Check out this thread. It may help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: smokemaster's witch's brew

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Northeast folks - when are you starting seeds?
Boston - planning on 3/1 (next Sunday!)
peps_22
Are you a patron of Padron peppers for tapas?
Or would that be 'tapas (appetizer) de padron a patronis'...
bragu_DSM 5
Need A TON of help on bhut jalokias
I'm growing bhut jalokias Carolina reapers and Trinidad...
bigcatcal
Need Indian or Thai hot pepper seeds
Where can I get Indian or Thai hot pepper seeds in...
jd101
Resurrect my Scorpion plant?
So I have a Trinidad Scorpion plant that produced fairly...
newcoyote
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™