Crape Myrtle in Water

merdenaSeptember 2, 2010

First, let me begin by saying I am a total newbie when it comes to planting anything. That said, here's my deal. I cut some branches off a crape myrtle tree from my childhood home to be planted at my new home. I just stripped the leaves off and stuck them in water on the back porch. I checked them a week or so later and they appeared to be dead but I occasionally added water. About six weeks later, new leaves started to appear, both above the water and below the water line. It has been over two months now and there are still no roots, but new leaves (and an occasional flower) continue to appear. What should I do now? It will probably be late October or early November before we get a frost.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

It is possible to root some crape myrtles in water, but it's much easier to root them the traditional way in a potting medium. Generally water is best reserved for rooting things like coleus. Google crape myrtle cuttings and you'll find all the info you need. Ask if you need clarification on anything.

Bookmark   September 5, 2010 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet
I have six stems of Israeli Ruscus from a bouquet;...
korbine
Source for berry cuttings
Hi, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere on the...
shaggyfrog
Cuttings and Moon Phases
I'm wondering if the moon phases, fruitful or barren...
luvs2plant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™