Cayenne (?) harvest

Babka NorCal 9bJuly 27, 2014

Not sure what these chilies are, thinking now perhaps cayenne. Whatever they are, now that they are ripe, they have a hard skin and are tough for chewing fresh. Beautiful added whole to some dishes, where you get the flavor but don't want to eat the chili.

I didn't want to waste them, and it has been warm here so I didn't want to dehydrate them in the kitchen, and our sun is scorching hot and would probably bleach them as it does to our exposed tomatoes.

So I threaded a bunch on a string and hung them out on the deck. They get some sun thru the 2x2 overhead. Just an experiment for me.

Even if they don't do well, I sure am having fun seeing them as decorations from my recliner!

How do you dry yours?

-Babka

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_92

I just string them through the stems and put them in an open window that gets loads of sun.
They dry out pretty quickly that way :)

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:36PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Tom 92- Where do you live? You don't give a zone or state or country. Don't they bleach out in the sun?

Babka

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 12:10AM
toolstack

I have these Cheyenne hanging by their stems in the kitchen window. I have 5 more on the plant that are turning red now. I'll probably use a few for seeds. Your peppers look good there. They make good decorations.
Randal

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 12:10AM
tom_92

Oh, Im sorry, I forgot to. I live in New Jersey, it isn't all that too bad here. They aren't in direct sunlight throughout the entire day due to the sun switching sides of the house at noon. No, I havent had my peppers loose any color from the sun.

Good luck with yours. :)

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
Need advice on how to suspend shop lights.
So I bought the below metal shelving to house seedling...
peps_22
bad batch of corn … oh
OTOH nothing happened after 26 days with my first batch...
bragu_DSM 5
Lemon Peppers
I grew these last year from store bought seeds. They...
cooperdr_gw
Seed soak
IIs 24 hours too long? I won't be home until then....
peps_22
How's your overwinter going?
How's everyones overwintering going? This was my first...
ozzy2001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™