Photo Archive: American Gardens and Architecture from 1850-1920

Cady(6b/Sunset34 MA)February 24, 2006

Thought you might find this useful. It's a photo archive from the Loeb Library at the Harvard School of Design, courtesy of the Loeb and the Library of Congress.

The photos provide a wealth of inspiration and factual representation of American gardens from 1850 to 1920.

Bon apetite!

Here is a link that might be useful: Loeb Garden Photo Archive

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Cady,
It was a good idea to repost the Loeb Library site here on this Forum. You did some detective work in answer to a question I asked on another forum and discovered this gem. Hopefully many, as they have time, will work their way through it's hundreds of pictures. Just the section on 'terraces' is worth a visit. Although landscapes shown are mostly of large estates/public spaces by famous LA's the pictures were taken before gardens matured. With some study one can see how these well known designers worked curves against squares and other geometric forms, shadow and light, formal with natural. Lots to be seen and studied.

I was saddened to find on Google that the Whitemarsh Hall estate (many pictures of this magnificent property included) in Chestnut Hill, PA. was demolished at some unknown date. It looks as though it may have rivaled the Biltmore in NC.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 10:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny12

This is an invaluable link and just plain fun to search. The internet gets better every year.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
renovating a used to be garden
Hi, i need help in trying to restore a space of land...
shayshay836
Overwhelmed by inherited garden
I have an older established flower garden that I inherited...
belleduggan
How to "clean" the soil in my garden?
Hi, last year we got a couple of new flowers and i...
Gogol
2ft garden fence
Hello. We live in Chicago and in need of a 2ft tall...
KS_Chicago
Newbies need help! Garden rehabilitation
Hello! We are Claudia and Ferran, we have just moved...
Undomie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™