Callusing Progression

rockstonegarden(5b (NS, Can))September 20, 2010

I have some witchhazel (american) which have been in my propigator for about three months. They have fourmed extensive and "tuberous" calluses on the cut, however they seem reluctant for form hair like roots. Though they seem otherwise healthy, i am worried they will perish soon. I have had this problem with other woodies, such as japaneese maples, and evergreens. My propigator is an aquarium with about 4" of perlite + some vermiculite in the bottom. I try to keep about 1" of water in the bottom. I used to use a hypersonic fogger but they havent lasted very long concidering the cost of the unit. I mist them ocassionally and they never seem to wilt. I use bottom heat, however i turned it off for the summer. I have some rooting powder and some vitiman B solution, but don't use it much. the propigator used a 2' plant light and it sits in a sunporch facing south and west. I have covered the west windows with BoPET foil to reflect the summer sun.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anyway to cause the calus tissue to express roots, or am i being an impatient control freek?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

I have had great success by thaling a tip cutting june or early july... apply 0.9% IBA (Rooting hormone.... notice strength) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 8-12 weeks to root.
It sounds like you are basically trying to proprogate in water... since it has callused.... remove from chamber, apply rooting hormone stick in well drained soil, mist & use bottom heat since it is cooling off.......

Bookmark   September 25, 2010 at 8:27AM
rockstonegarden(5b (NS, Can))

thankyou yiorges

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 1:43AM
peggiewho(z9 Ca)

Yiorges, I am not farmilar with the term 'thaling a tip cutting '. Does the term mean rooting? PW

Bookmark   November 4, 2010 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
Coleus Propagation/Pinching
Hi, Here are my new, first time growing from seeds,...
Cathy Cokley
Clips or Tape
Hello. I have a question about grafting. Should I use...
tomatoman100
Grafting Black Walnut
Has anyone done this? I'm going to try this spring,...
terrycalhoun
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Trying to propagate for the first time
Propagating is completely new to me. I have an astilbe...
Amy Biondolillo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™