Velvet plant seeds

doris836(z5 IN)September 8, 2012

Can any one tell me how you collect the seeds from this plant and what do the seeds look like/ This is my first year growing these and I want to save the seeds. Thank you for your help. Please message me. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

this is usually a house plant.. there is a house plant forum.. where you might get a wealth of knowledge... otherwise i care not where you post ...

these things root in water.. in about 20 minutes.. i dont know why you would want to deal with seed ...

root some pieces.. grow them indoors for winter ... come 6 weeks before last frost.. root up a dozen of so cuttings.. getting them ready to take outdoors .. when weather allows ...

many tropical or semi-tropical house plants.. may not make viable seed.. simply because the season.. up here. .. is not long enough for the seed to ripen ...

WAG'ing here.. so maybe i am wrong

ken

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 8:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

First, want to make sure, you're talking about Gynura? Was your plant outside when it flowered? Theoretically, if bees or moths or some critter pollinated the flowers, they should make seeds. But not all flowers make seeds, plants can be self-sterile, seeds are viable but produce species instead of hybrid or cultivar, or any number of issues with seeds in general could be possible from there.

Aside from confirming those basics, it's not something I've heard of being done before. Anxious to hear more also.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Rooting hormone
Hormex is what we always had in the house, but I don't...
zensojourner
wanted cuttings for Weeping Willow for Postage
Will pay postage for some cuttings that will grow in...
happytomato2008
Speed up Plant Propagation!
This will not be needed for most plant propagation...
hummersteve
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form taproots ?
Can/do plants propagated asexually by cutting form...
Zoztrog
Rootong Juniperus virginiana cuttings?
I need to root some Eastern Juniper or Eastern "Redcedar"...
treeguy123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™